As with so many Scottish towns and villages, Stevenston has a passion for golfing as evidenced by its golf courses. One of the golf courses, Ardeer Golf Club is one of the oldest clubs in Ayrshire.
Initially located in Stevenston’s Sandyhills, Ardeer Golf Club was formed in 1880. The 9-hole course was well received and the Club relocated to the Ardeer area in 1905. The new course was set between the town and the sea on land that was owned by ICI (Imperial Chemicals Industries Ltd). Many of the early members were drawn from ICI including a three-time Scottish Amateur champion, Hamilton McInally. Read the full story