The town of Stevenston derives its name from Stephan Lockhart. In 1170, Stephan Lockhart’s father received a land grant from the Lord High Constable, Richard de Morville. The first time the town is mentioned in a charter is 1240.
Coal mining was the town’s mainstay for several centuries until the coal pits were mined out toward the end of the 1800’s. During the 1900’s, explosive and chemical production was the town’s lifeblood. The town was devastated when ICI closed plants and reduced its presence in the town. Although the ICI site was taken over and is operated as Nobel Enterprises, the level of production is at a much smaller scale. Read the full story